_What We Do
We will walk you through the process, make sure you understand your options, get you the best value through a bidding process, find you the lowest financing rates and make sure the job is done right.
How We Save You Money
• Help you to understand how energy flows through your house, and what the best course of action is to reduce energy consumption and save money.
• Help you to avoid costly mistakes and unnecessary technologies. We make sure the work is done right.
• Ensure that you get all of the state and federal incentives and rebates that you are eligible for.
• Undertake a bidding process, when appropriate, to get the best price for the major aspects of the work. This process alone has saved HEA clients up to $10,000.
• We possess an extensive knowledge of building science, energy efficiency, renewable energy and home energy systems. If we do not have an answer to your question, we usually know what local, regional or national expert does.
• Perform financial assessments on your proposed project(s) to help you to understand how much money you can save, including return on investment (ROI), cash flow analysis and payback period calculations.
• Help you to find the best and cheapest financing option if financing is needed for your project.
Teach you how to obtain the full appraised value for the energy improvements that you undertake when & if you ever sell the house.
• Teach you about the unintended external costs and problems associated with certain technologies and practices.
• Help you to steer clear of snazzy technologies that look quite good on paper but are unreliable, perform poorly or are not cost effective.
• Help you to avoid unscrupulous contractors who inflate their prices or do shoddy work. Because we know and have worked with many of the tradespeople in the field of energy conservation and renewable energy in Southeastern Vermont we can recommend the best contractors to our clients.
• Information on discount prices of heating fuels.
• Home Energy Advocates is developing relationships with the manufacturers of high-quality energy-related equipment that has proven its effectiveness over time. This will translate into discounts for our clients who choose those technologies, which include solar photovoltaic systems and Window Quilts.
Home Energy Advocates Works for You
The most common reason that Home Energy Advocates is hired is because many homeowners are simply bewildered at undertaking an energy retrofit project. People are easily confused when they try to figure out what makes sense. Building science is a complex field, and the technologies and players are constantly changing. Having an independent expert helping to sort through all of the technical issues, economic constraints, and financing options can make the difference between a major home energy project happening, or not. When a homeowner tries to go it on their own all too often a creeping paralysis sets in, whispering in their ear "It's not so bad, fuel prices might come down again. Just put on another sweater."
Other reasons for hiring Home Energy Advocates include the following:
There is a risk associated with taking out a loan of the size needed to do a substantial energy retrofit. Home Energy Advocates understands this. At the same time, there might be an even bigger risk in not doing anything. This is true on an individual level as well as a societal level.
Our Process - A Better Way
What You Can Expect From Us
Find the Right Vendor for You
We'll find the right person for your job and help manage the process every step of the way.
We work for you, the client, exclusively!
Who We Work With
Home Energy Advocates works with a number of different home energy auditors, contractors, weatherization companies, solar installers, heat pump contractors, carpenter-builders, consultants and building science organizations throughout Southeastern Vermont and the Connecticut River Watershed. We have developed relationships with a number of companies in order to bring our clients discounted products and services, such as solar panels and Window Quilts.